Skip to Content
Daytona Beach Injury Attorneys | Call 24/7 386-333-6613

What to Do If You Get into an Accident with an Uninsured Driver

According to the Insurance Research Council, as reported by the Insurance Information Institute, nearly 13% of all motorists on the roads in America are uninsured. Put another way, when you are in traffic, take a look around you at the next seven closest vehicles. Statistically, one of those drivers does not have any insurance to pay for your damages if they cause a car accident.

What are you supposed to do if one of those millions of uninsured drivers hits you? The answer will depend a bit on where you live.

Here in Florida, you can use your Personal Injury Protection (PIP) insurance – which is required by the state – to pay for medical bills and lost wages caused by the accident. PIP insurance is a no-fault-based insurance system, so you don’t necessarily have to prove that the uninsured driver was the one who caused the crash. You might need to negotiate with your insurance provider, though, because it might try to limit how much coverage you get from PIP insurance, even though you paid them for it.

Another way to seek additional damages after an uninsured accident is to use your uninsured motorist (UM) insurance coverage. UM insurance is not necessary in Florida, though, so you might not have it. Some insurance companies don’t even always offer it because they sell PIP insurance instead. But if you do have an optional UM insurance policy, then it can provide more damages that PIP does not, including pain and suffering damages.

Should You Sue the Uninsured Driver?

You have the option to bring a lawsuit against the uninsured driver to try to get compensation from their personal finances. However, this is often not an option that is easily pursued because a driver who doesn’t have insurance usually does not have considerable funds. They tend to not buy insurance because they can’t afford it. Suing them for money might yield next to nothing, so attorneys will typically not take such cases, too.

If you’re curious about using all legal avenues after a car accident with an uninsured motorist in Florida, then you can call (386) 333-6613 and connect with Politis & Matovina, P.A. During a free consultation, we can determine if your case calls for the counsel of an attorney and, if it does, what needs to be done next to pursue the most compensation possible, from your insurer, the other driver, or both.