Dogs bite over 4 million people each year and nearly 20% of them require medical attention. As much as we love animals, we must remember that some of them still have the ability to cause us harm, especially if they’re afraid of us. One of the best ways to prevent a dog attack is by recognizing the signs that a dog may be aggressive.These warning signs may include:
- Raising and licking lips: This is an early indication that a dog is agitated or uncomfortable. Look for this sign combined with yawning.
- Growling and showing teeth or snapping: This may seem obvious, but stay away from a dog that is growling or exposing its teeth. A dog that feels threatened is more likely to attack.
- Wagging tail: Although a wagging tail can be a sign that a dog is happy, it can also indicate that a dog feels threatened. A threatened dog’s tail will usually be raised high and wag slowly, along with a rigid body.
- Rigid body: If a dog is anxious, it will stiffen its body and stand squarely. This can indicate that a dog is ready to attack.
- Raised fur: Like many other animals, a threatened dog will have raised fur on its back or neck.
Along with these warning signs, there are general tips that you should follow when interacting with your dog and a stranger’s dog:
- Don’t bother a dog when they are eating, sleeping, or chewing on a toy.
- Don’t bother a mother dog when she is caring for puppies. They can get very protective.
- Examine a dog’s body language before approaching them
- Ask the owner before petting a strange dog.
- Let a dog sniff you first before touching them.
- If a loose dog is roaming in the street, don’t run. Instead, stay still until the dog leaves.
- If a dog knocks you over, curl into a ball and stay absolutely still.
- Do not make direct eye contact with a strange dog.
- Do not try to break up a fight between two or more strange dogs.
If you or someone you know has been bitten by a dog, please contact the Daytona Beach dog bite lawyers at Politis & Matovina, P.A. today.
Call (386) 333-6613 or contact us online.